2016-2017 Reflections Cultural Arts Competition Theme:
“What is Your Story?”
Students can enter in the following categories: Dance Choreography, Film, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, & Visual Arts. Entries are judged not just on artistic skill, but on how well the theme is interpreted.
Deadline for submitting all entries is TBD.
The Reflections ProgramSMis a National PTA cultural arts competition started in 1969 and administered by state PTAs. The Reflections ProgramSM provides an opportunity for students in grades K-12 to express their thoughts and feelings through the creative arts.
The Reflections ProgramSM provides students with the opportunity to create works of art for fun and recognition. Reflections can also serve as an outlet for students to creatively explore what they are learning in the classroom. When children express themselves through words, pictures, music, dance, film, and other art media, they grow intellectually; they learn to analyze their thoughts and feelings. The Reflections ProgramSM helps parents encourage the creativity, self-discovery, and lifelong learning of their children. Supporting the PTA Reflections ProgramSM is one way you can increase student achievement, foster student talents, and promote the arts.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE AN EXPERT ARTIST, JUST SOMEONE WITH A GREAT I•M•A•G•I•N•A•T•I•O•N!
Entries will be judged at the local school level, the Tuscaloosa City PTA Council level, and the state level. State winners compete at the national level.
What can I submit?
Every year a new theme is chosen and students create work at home or in school in six categories:
- DANCE CHOREOGRAPHY
- FILM/VIDEO PRODUCTION
- MUSICAL COMPOSITION
- VISUAL ARTS
- There is no limit on the number of submissions
- All entries must be the original work of one student
- Students may also have more than one entry in any category
How are entries judged?
Entries are judged based on their interpretation of the theme. There are five (5) divisions based on grade levels:
- PRIMARY = K-2nd Grade
- INTERMEDIATE = 3rd-5th Grade
- MIDDLE SCHOOL = 6th-8th Grade
- HIGH SCHOOL = 9th-12th Grade
- SPECIAL ARTIST (Ungraded)
How do I get started?
- Decide which category or categories you are interested in entering (Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, or Visual Arts. There is also a Special Artist Division).
- Review the Category Rules (see below).
- Complete the Student Entry Form (one for each entry) and return with your entry by TBD.
Review the information below regarding the category rules to get started. Deadline for submitting all entries is TBD.
Questions? Email Verner PTA Reflections Chair TBD (chair email address).
Forms for the 2016-2017 contest will be available following the start of the school year. Forms from 2015-2016 are provided as a reference until the current year forms are made available.
Student Entry Form